Business Immigration and Visa Services

Visa Services

Chavin Immigration Law Office advises on the compatibility of your plans and likelihood of your obtaining visas for you or your employees.  Ms. Chavin will help you to file complete visa petitions or applications including a full package of supporting documentation for the USCIS, US Department of State, and/or US consulate or embassy, and assist with any related Department of Labor or other compliance requirements.

Employment Based Temporary Work Visas

B-1 Business Visa

Foreign nationals may enter for a specific period, for a particular business purpose:  for example, to participate in Board meetings, trade shows, speaking engagements, seminars, conventions and conferences, or to investigate investment opportunities, consult with business associates, negotiate contracts, do independent research or engage in classroom-based training.  They can also install equipment from a foreign country, or train other workers in the use of such equipment.  Any salary compensation should emanate from a foreign employer abroad.

H-1B Specialty Occupation (Professional) Visa

H-1B visas are a popular choice for those wishing to employ professionals in positions requiring at least a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience) at the prevailing market wage.

H-3 Temporary Trainee Visas

Training should benefit the foreign national in pursuing a career outside the US. It should not be designed primarily for productive employment.

L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visas & “Start Up” L Visas

Companies wishing to transfer an employee, of at least one year, from a foreign branch to a US office may use the L-1 Visa for executives, managers and specialized knowledge employees.

E-2 Treaty Investor Visas

These are limited to foreign nationals from countries with bilateral treaties with the US. Available for managers or executives as well as specialized workers, essential to the operation.

TN Worker Visas

Similar to the H-1B, Mexican and Canadian nationals enter with a job offer from a US employer from a TN list of qualifying positions.

F-1 (on PPT or OPT) Student Visas

The visa holder must be engaged in a full course of study at a school in the US, but students may seek approval of their university international office to work part-time or immediately after graduation, if certain criteria are met.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visas

Arriving at the invitation of an approved exchange program visa program, these visa holders include research scholars, business trainees, teachers, and professors, as well as au pairs, camp counselors and students. Often have a two year obligation to leave the US at the end of their stay. Waivers may be available.

O-1 Extraordinary Ability Worker Visas

Foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in the arts, entertainment, science, sports or business may apply for an O-1 visa to enter the US to continue to work in that field of extraordinary ability.

Employment Based Permanent Visas

EB-1 Foreign Nationals of Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Professors and Researchers and Multinational Executives and Managers

Employers and employees who petition in this category may do so without obtaining a labor certification.

EB-2 Workers with Advanced Degrees or Exceptional Ability in the Sciences, Arts or Business

Employers petition for potential employees in this category by going through the labor certification process, involving a testing of the job market to show that the potential visa holder will not take a job from a US worker. National interest waivers may be obtained for some employees and avoid the labor certification and recruitment requirements.

EB-3 Skilled Workers and Professionals

Visa holders in this category normally must have a job offer and the potential employer must complete the labor certification process.

EB-4 Special Immigrant Visas for Religious Workers

Religious organizations can petition for foreign ministers to obtain these green cards.

Investment Based Visas

Please see Ms. Chavin’s comparative chart of investment based visas.

Renunciation of US Citizenship in the United Kingdom

Loss of citizenship is also known as expatriation.  To relinquish US citizenship, is to give it up.  Renunciation is the act of giving up citizenship in front of a consular or diplomatic officer at a US consulate or embassy.

US citizens can relinquish US citizenship after completing several forms and paying a fee of $2,350, or its equivalent in GB pounds.  In general, in order to give up American citizenship, one downloads forms in advance from the US Embassy in London American Citizen Services (ACS) webpages, completes them and then schedules an interview appointment at ACS so that the consular officer can witness the signing of some of the forms.  The consulate will make sure that you understand that the execution of the forms initiates a process, which is irrevocable. Please see an US immigration and citizenship attorney, however, if you feel that you would like your loss of citizenship reconsidered or administratively appealed and you have substantial new evidence of involuntariness or intent.

Before taking on the process to request a loss of citizenship, consider seeing a US immigration attorney to learn about what it will be like to be a foreign national visiting the United States, among other concerns.  After renouncing, former US citizens may need a visa to visit the United States to see relatives, to work, and to invest in new businesses.